A Call to Action
They realized that business, healthcare, banking, and yes, even law firms, were ill-informed and unequipped to deal with the coming sea change.
Most importantly, as consumers, patients, and lawyers, they decided that they needed to do something about it.
So, well into their careers, Jim and Joel went back to school. In between practicing law and raising families, they studied. And studied. And studied. Jim kicked down the first door, earning a GLEG certification. Jim and Joel each obtained CIPP-US certifications in 2016. Jim followed that up with the difficult to obtain HCISSP certification.
Jim and Joel strive to be thought leaders in the area of information security and privacy, writing articles, attending and presenting at seminars.
In 2016, Jim and Joel were tapped to present an Ohio Association of Justice seminar on Data Breach Litigation and presented 3 hours of a 6-hour national webinar for National Business Institute entitled Cybersecurity: The Ultimate Guide.
In 2017, Jim and Joel are already slated to appear at seminars for the Better Business Bureau and Northeast Ohio Healthcare Financial Management Association. Finally, with a little bit of luck, the pair will author a book on information security and privacy law by the end of 2017.
Simply, Jim Ickes and Joel Holt are among the most credentialed information security attorneys in the State of Ohio, not to mention Northeast Ohio.
Ickes Holt provides clients with counsel in the critical and emerging area of information security (often called “cybersecurity”) law and privacy law.
Jim Ickes and Joel Holt are not only attorneys; they are certified privacy professionals. The attorneys of Ickes Holt are experts in information security and privacy law. Ickes Holt stands ready to support your organization in the following areas:
- Assist clients to develop, draft, and modify corporate governance policies for information security and privacy as well as attendant protocols to ensure compliance with pertinent state and federal laws.
- Assist clients to develop and implement information security incident response plans.
Engage in table-top exercises with clients to test efficacy of information security policies and incident response plans.
- Advise clients with respect to third-party vendor contracts and allocation of liability related to information handling and data breaches.
- Assist clients by coordinating with cybersecurity experts, including CISSPs, to ensure periodic assessment of clients’ network security.
- Assist clients by coordinating with business continuity experts to develop, maintain, and test business continuity plans.
- Assist clients by coordinating with risk management and risk assessment experts to develop, maintain, and test Incident Management Plans.
- Advise clients, in the event of a data breach, with respect to all relevant privacy and data breach notification laws.
- Assist clients navigate information security related investigations and audits.
- Assist clients litigate information security and privacy claims in state and federal courts and administrative enforcement actions.
The attorneys at Ickes Holt advise healthcare organizations, including hospitals, physicians, dentists, chiropractors, and counselors, about compliance with the Privacy and Security Rules of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or “HIPAA.” However, Ickes Holt has expertise and experience in most information security and privacy laws and regulations, including:
- Gramm Leach Bliley Act (GLBA)
- Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd Frank Act)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)—medical records provisions
- Ohio Data Breach Notifications Act
- Section 5 of Federal Trade Commission Act
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) regulations
- Securities & Exchange Commission cybersecurity regulations
- U./U.S. Privacy Shield
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
In today’s economy, nothing is more important than your organization’s information assets. Ickes Holt has the expertise, experience, and foresight to help your organization protect those information assets and not only meet, but exceed, regulatory compliance standards. Call Ickes Holt today to set up a consultation.
If you have received notice that you have been the victim of a data breach or the unauthorized disclosure of your personal information, or if you believe yourself to be a victim, it is important to contact the attorneys at Ickes Holt as soon as possible to learn your rights. The attorneys at Ickes Holt represent Ohio citizens in lawsuits against organizations which, intentionally or unintentionally, permit the unauthorized disclosure of your personal information. The attorneys at Ickes Holt can do the same for you, if you have an actionable claim. Call Ickes Holt today to set up a consultation.